Mrs. Atwood's Classroom
It is so hard to believe that we are on the final stretch of the school year. So much to do in so little time. :)
We are looking forward to some fun activities this month...our class field trip along with a visit from the High-Tech/High Touch scientists who will be sharing some exciting experiments.
Wishing our mothers a very Happy Mother's Day!
Here's to a great month.
My door is always open with any questions or concerns that you may have.
Dates to Remember:
5/3 Class picture day (5/4 – Rain date) – *form went home on last Monday
5/3 D.O.G.S. breakfast 7-8:30am
5/11 Art Show – 3:30-5:30pm
5/20 Grade 2 Field Trip
5/30 No School – Memorial Day
5/31 High Tech/High Touch Scientists
*6/9 Field Day & Volunteer Breakfast (5/13 – Rain date)
Wrapping up Unit 5: Money
- Students will solve problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies
and use the money signs appropriately.
- Students will identify both sides of currency
- Count mixed sets of currency
Unit 6: Reasoning with Shapes
- recognize and draw shapes having specified attributes
- identify regular shapes
- identify triangles, quadrilaterals,
pentagons, hexagons, and cubes
- compose shapes given specified
- distinguish between 2D & 3D shapes
- partition circles and rectangles into two,
three, or four equal shares
- describe equal shares using the words halves,
thirds, half of, a third of, etc.,
- describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, four fourths
*Students can also visit www.mathseeds.com and www.xtramath.org for extra math reinforcement.
- The sound of oo, ou,ue, ew
- Trick Words: January, February, July, enough, special, December
- The sound of au and aw
- Trick Words: August, laugh, daughter
- Consonant le syllable type
- Spelling consonant le syllable words
- Review of all 6 syllable types
Writing: Writing About Reading
- Writing letter to share ideas about characters, parts of books, using evidence to support opinions
Unit 5: Series Reading and Cross-Genre Reading Clubs
- To ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text
- Describe how words and phrases support rhythm and meaning in a story, poem or song
- Discuss the overall structure of a story - beginning, middle and ending
- Identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- Describe connections between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts or steps in a technical procedures in a text
- Compare and contrast the most important points presented in two texts on the same topic
- Read 2nd grade text fluently and show comprehension
*Students can also visit www.readingeggs.com for extra reading reinforcement.
- If your dismissal plan changes, please send in a note, so that I can forward the information to the office.
- If your child’s dismissal plan changes during the school day, please call the office 203.758.4408 and they will let me know.
- Picks-up: Parents will pull up to the 1st loop entrance (front door section of the parking lot).
- Bus students: Students will be enter the school and will be dismissed from the 2nd loop entrance of the parking lot.
- Please remember to call the school, if your child will not be attending school.
- Please provide a written note of explanation when your child returns to school.
- I will update my newsletter at the beginning of each month.
- Please provide your child with a healthy peanut free snack and water bottle every day. We will have snack in the morning.
- It would be helpful if you could pack the snack separately to avoid confusion.
*School lunch choices for the first 2 weeks of school: Hot lunch, Cereal box with yogurt and string cheese, Pancakes with yogurt and string cheese.
- Please discuss your child’s lunch plan before leaving for school each day. I will ask each child if they are having “school or home lunch.”
- They also have the option of alternative lunch choices.
- Our recess/lunch period is 12:15-12:55.
- Please be sure to label your child’s lunchbox. (child’s name/2A)
- You may pay for school lunch daily or monthly. Please place payment in a labeled sealed envelope.
- Cost for lunch is $2.50
- Students may also purchase milk.
Our Daily Specials
Friday Computers & PE
- Please be sure to check your child’s folder daily for important notices.
- A homework sheet will be placed in your child’s homework folder. Please initial it and return it. I will collect the sheet on Friday.
Posted Monday 01/04/16 9:34 PM
There are no events to display.