Board of Education Policies, Goals, and Mission Statement
Our mission is to provide high quality and educational opportunities through the use of traditional, experiential, and creative instructional practices to ensure that all students become inquisitive, lifelong learners with the 21st Century skills necessary to be successful.
Statement of Beliefs
We educate students intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically to acquire knowledge and skills, to develop creativity and character, and to pursue their interests, realize their potential, and meet the challenges in a constantly changing world.
We believe that……
- A high quality education is fundamental to create a life with purpose, meaning, and happiness.
- Educated people of good character are essential to democracy.
- Public education is a responsibility shared by students, parents, school personnel, and community members.
- Trust and respect are prerequisites for sustaining and improving safe and successful schools. Critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and innovation are essential.·All people have value and should be treated with dignity and respect.
We are committed to……
- Clear communication and transparent processes;
- Rigorous, comprehensive, and innovative programs;
- Meeting the needs of all students within local, state and federal requirements;
- Collaboration, professional development, and ethical practice;
- Continuous improvement through systematically assessing our actions and outcomes
- Using all resources efficiently and effectively to the greatest advantage of all students
- Assuring the security at each school is such that students and staff are safe
Goals and Strategic Actions
Goal I: Culture
- Ensure our district culture aligns with our mission and beliefs.
- Model by example our beliefs and professional ethics.
- Create respectful school cultures that foster innovation and excellence.
- Provide meaningful partnerships with schools, families, local communities, and beyond.
- Maintain a safe and healthful learning environment and assure all measures are being taken to eliminate any form of bullying behavior.
- Allocate resources and staff efficiently and equitably to meet the mission of the schools, and local, state, and federal requirements.
- Maintain a climate that acknowledges and celebrates diversity and embodies cultural sensitivity and openness and inclusiveness while recognizing the dignity and self-worth of each person.
- Teach the skills students will need to demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the increasingly global nature of the world in which they live so they may establish a set of acceptable and commendable behaviors associated with good citizenship.
Goal II: Achievement
- Create multiple opportunities for students to engage in collaboration, problem-solving, critical thinking, innovation, and creative expression.
- Develop and implement programs, activities, and experiences to ensure students are prepared for college, career, and life.
- Clearly articulate and implement a Pre-kindergarten to Grade 12 curriculum that is vertically aligned, rigorous, and relevant.
- Encourage and support students to participate in meaningful community learning and citizenship activities.
- Design, implement, and evaluate teaching and learning to achieve and maintain high standards.
- Provide all students with the opportunity to achieve at their highest levels.
- Align our professional development to meet the needs of all staff in fulfilling their responsibilities and foster continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement plans to integrate evolving technologies to support high quality teaching and learning.
- Foster meaningful connections with alumni to assess their post-secondary success as it reflects on their Region 16 experience.
- Maintain the highest quality of staff in all employment categories.
Goal III: Communication
- Communicate regularly with students, parents, school personnel, and community members.
- Provide communication that is purposeful, clear, and concise.
- Identify and utilize a variety of techniques to communicate, inform, educate, and respond to all stakeholders.
- Educate the community on how resources are secured and utilized to operate the schools.
- Maintain appropriate Board policies and administrative regulations aligned with educational goals and sound educational practices.
- Promote opportunities for community involvement and support of schools.
Goal IV: Fiscal
- Balance its objectives of providing the best possible education to Region 16 students while being fiscally responsible to the district’s taxpayers.
- Utilize data to reduce costs and search for efficiencies.
- Encourage the identification and implementation of ideas toward reduction in energy, transportation costs, and health care costs.
- Assure transparency in the budget development process.
- Assure there is an updated 5-Year Capital Improvement Plan.
- Manage the schools in an efficient and cost effective manner while maintaining and improving the quality of the educational program.
- Evaluate the relative expenditure of the district’ s spending plan dollars between classroom, teachers and support staff, academic and extra-curricular activities, and maintenance of the physical plant and equipment.